What Happens If You Don’t Get Wisdom Teeth Removed
Wisdom teeth are one of the biggest reasons people seek oral surgery. Depending on whether your wisdom teeth have erupted or not, you may need to remove them. But what happens if you don’t? How do you know if you need to remove your wisdom teeth? The Center for Oral Surgery of Las Vegas has the answers you need to know about everything and anything wisdom teeth! Dr. Carlos Letelier and his staff help educate patients on what to know before, during, after oral surgery. Our Las Vegas practice offers a wide range of comprehensive services that can help patients dealing with oral problems. If you think that you need your wisdom teeth removed, here’s what you need to know. (lambertsfruit.com)
Why Wisdom Teeth May Need to Be Removed
- Overcrowding- Many patients do not have room for the third molars to grow properly. If these teeth do erupt, overcrowding can occur and can shift your teeth. Your teeth will start overlapping over each other, making it harder to clean and brush. If you have just completed orthodontic care, it can negate the work that was performed during treatment.
- Impact Gums & Jaw- When wisdom teeth are impacted (meaning that they are stuck below the gum line), it can be very painful. Not only that, but the growth can shift to the jawline, interfering with the opening/closing of your jaw.
- Greater Potential for Decay & Infection- Wisdom teeth, impacted or not, are prone to decay and infection. Even if wisdom teeth grow in properly, the location can make it hard to reach to brush and floss. This can lead to an increased risk of gum disease forming.
Can Wisdom Teeth Stay?
In some cases, your wisdom teeth don’t need to be removed. Depending on what your dentist recommends, your wisdom teeth (or what’s known as your “third molars”) can stay if:
- Your teeth and gums are healthy.
- They are grown in completely (meaning that they fully erupt).
- Positioned correctly.
- Your bite is properly aligned with the opposing teeth.
- You are able to reach and clean them properly as a part of your daily hygiene practice.
Get Your Wisdom Teeth Removed Today!
If you’re looking to remove your wisdom teeth, or are in need of oral surgery, contact the Center for Oral Surgery of Las Vegas! We are happy to work with you and help you diagnose and treat oral problems you have. If you have any questions or concerns, our staff will be happy to answer you! Schedule a consultation today! We can’t wait to work with you!